Today, we learned about the two types of characterization: direct and indirect characterization. We then applied what we learned by analyzing characters from James Baldwin’s “The Rockpile” using the STEAL method: Speech, Thoughts, Effect on Others, Actions, and Looks. Now, apply characterization to yourself. If someone were using the STEAL method to characterize you, how would they describe you? Select all parts of STEAL and explain what they reveal about your personality.

Prompt Response: I do not know exactly how someone were to describe me, but my speach would reveal that I am interested in the world around me, that I don't support genocide or the destruction of Earth's ecosystems, and that I can acknowledge my mistakes. My thoughts reveal that I have a unique way of seeing the world and that I love my friends more than they know. I don't believe that my effect on others is very significant, but the effect that I do have is, I like to think, positive, and making people feel loved and welcome. Though I can't really know what my actions reveal about me to other people, I try to show that I care about the people around me, that I support our environment, and that I like to enjoy life. I think my looks show that I don't care about how I look very much, but my friends have, on occasion, told me that I look whimsical and pretty.

Summary: Today, we spent our class period reviewing the story "The Rockpile" by James Baldwin through a series of assignments that helped us delve deeper into the individual characters.

Reflection: The assignments we did in class helped me to really think a bit deeper into the intention and meaning of a character's presence in a story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Are Three Goals, Academic or Personal, that You Want to Achieve this Year?

In Emily Dickinson’s “I Felt a Funeral, in My Brain,” the speaker experiences a mind that seems to work against her. Sometimes our own thoughts can make a situation feel worse than it actually is. Describe a time when overthinking, worrying, or doubting yourself affected the way you handled a situation. What did you learn from the experience?

Write about a fear you have overcome.