In Emily Dickinson’s “I Felt a Funeral, in My Brain,” the speaker experiences a mind that seems to work against her. Sometimes our own thoughts can make a situation feel worse than it actually is. Describe a time when overthinking, worrying, or doubting yourself affected the way you handled a situation. What did you learn from the experience?

Prompt Response: In theatre, I am running lights for one of our fall shows this year (A Few Good Men), and on the days where I am doing lights by myself, I am often worried that the choices I make aren't even close to what our director wants. This overthinking and needless worrying slowed the process of finding the best lighting for the show. Our director, Ms. Bridges, assured me that I was doing great, and that the choices that I made were perfect.

Summary: Today, we read Emily Dickinson and really thought about the meaning behind what she says in her poetry.

Reflection: Reading and analyzing Dickinson's work helps me better understand how to write complex feelings in a way that is well interpreted, and it also helped me grow my knowledge on poetry in general, as it is not my area of expertise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Are Three Goals, Academic or Personal, that You Want to Achieve this Year?

Write about a fear you have overcome.